The most fundamental and basic four layers of the pyramid contain what Maslow called "deficiency needs" or "d-needs": esteem , friendship and love, security, and physical needs. If these "deficiency needs" are not met, the body gives no physical indication but the individual feels anxious and tense.
This is the perfect explanation of what is going on through my head - At. This. Precise. Moment.
I do not think my basic needs are met, and by basic I mean job (which I do have one, just don't know whats next) and hence I have been at my worse performance at work. Ever. Personal security and financial security are somewhat linked to my job and the future that awaits for me there, a future I no longer look forward to and a job I have not been doing so well at, and despise every day a bit more. Then there is health and well-being: I can say I am overall a healthy person, but lately (due to stress) I have not been able to enjoy my health. To extent I am now going to a chiropractor for physical therapy.
I figured that if I cannot meet my "second level" in Maslow's hierarchy of needs, then no wonder why I cannot move on and have the third layer of human needs met, which are social and involve feelings of belongingness.
I will go back to basics, maybe after I have my shit together, then the pieces of the puzzle will follow.
I believe that the important thing is to try your best to understand what is going on and why are things not working out the way you'd like to, and then act upon that.
Today is Back to basics, day 3
-D
It is so simple yet we with our minds confuse the heck out of things. Our bodies know what is truly affecting us well before we are concious that something is wrong.
ReplyDeleteI believe that in order to live a happy life, one must constantly work, and yes it takes work, to constantly maintain our homeostatic state of being. It starts like you mention, with our basic needs.
Sometimes we forget something as simple as staying hydrated throughout the day. I recently came through a life changing experience in where I had to literally carry water 24/7 and constantly be on an alert state in where I was sleep deprived, physically tired from constant exercise and mentally challenged at any moments notice.
All this forces you to constantly be listening to the signs your body gives you, alerting you that your homeostatic balance might be in jeopardy. I think to simply breathe and live each moment in balance is our most important goal in life, the rest, will follow through.