Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"You want what you can't have"

They always say "you want what you can't have" ...is it the same when it comes down to relationships? 

When you walk down the street, you always want that job, those shoes, that car... but do we also want that man that does not give us the attention that we require? And for the men, is it true that you find more attractive the woman who does not cater to you as you are probably used to?

Many times times we call it The Game - we cannot call within a certain time period, or we should wait a couple of days before we meet again - or even at times, we do not want to have sex because it is too soon. But do we really believe these 'rules' of The Game, or are we just playing because society tells us?

I once tried to play The Game, only to find out that at the end you end up giving up - Game Over. He called, didn't call, too much too soon, or maybe nothing for too long. But it comes to a time where I have just been tired of  playing, and decide to go full frontal and do what my heart has told me to do - Romantic, yet silly and useless, as it has clearly failed. You see? when I say full on, I mean calling when I want, not when I should, answering and yearning for that date as I miss him and want him now. The problem with this is that (it seems to be) men take it as needy, or too demanding, or maybe even dare think that one does not have a life just because we (I) reflect my constant daydreaming through a text message, or a call, or whatever other reflection of love. 

So - why is it that the guy I did not like keeps calling, texting and continues to try and grab my attention? I think it may be because I do not show as much care and concern as I do for someone I like. Therefore, he chases me because he does not have me: proving the theory "You want what you can't have."

Based on previous experience, and in order to test the  theory, I decided to be in total control of my behavior with a guy I "partially" liked (if there is such a stage). When I called (or texted, as this is what most people are used to and I have happened to finally comply with) he would be nice - just nice. However, if and when I would purposely stop texting for a couple of days, the sweetest surprises awaited for me. The funny thing is that the same happened as we started going out on actual dates, they would all start with a "if you want to come to ____" and never an actual request for my presence. Once I started pulling back, the invitations were more what they are supposed to be: an invitation because HE wants me to come, not because it is convenient given time and space, or because I wanted to.

I find that this is great in theory, the bad part and what they dont tell you, is that when you are truly head over heels for him, the minutes seem hours, the days seem weeks, and the weeks, well if it is weeks before we hear back from him, there you might as well grow old, alone and start getting some cats. This is when it truly becomes a challenge to continue with your life (which you DO have!) even though he is constantly in your thoughts. 

I would have to agree with the theory, and it is not about The Game, but we tend to value everything that much more when we have to work for it - and as much as I am having to work for it, I want him to work for it too! So hold your horses, and download that one application that does not allow you to send more than one text in a period of 3 hours - and if all goes as planned, he will value your outbursts of emotion as much as we value theirs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts - That way it won't just be a monologue :)